Use caution when dealing with flood waters. Flood waters may contain snakes and insects; sharp objects and debris; and oil, gasoline, industrial waste, or raw sewage.
To avoid illness and injury from floodwaters, the Oklahoma State Dept. of Health suggests the following:
* Keep children and pets from playing in flood water.
* Clean all items touched by floodwaters, including children’s toys. Use one cup of household bleach in five gallons of water.
* Throw away items that cannot be washed such as mattresses, stuffed animals, baby toys, and wood cutting boards, as well as food that may have come into contact with flood waters.
* Wash hands often with soap and clean water or use an alcohol-based sanitizer.
* Seek immediate attention if you become injured or ill.
* To protect your family and yourself, avoid floodwaters if possible.